When we bought our Jersey home there was no garden, not even one plant, it was all grass, and only a maple tree in the front yard. I love plants and flowers, and I decided to create a garden that would provide me with flowers year round. I like English gardens, so my attempt was to create something similar. Ten years later, I am proud to say that I enjoy a variety of flowers each season, and I always have fresh flowers. We spent some money in buying these plants, and I have learned to love them, almost as pets.
An idea occurred to me; I don’t have to say goodbye forever to my garden when we move – I can recreate the same garden at the farmhouse but this time without the cost. All I have to do is to transfer some of the plants or some cuttings, from NJ to VA. That way, I will enjoy my plants or siblings of those plants. The problem seems to be how to transport them there without them dying with such a long drive – 10 hours. We came out with the perfect solution. If I started planting them now, they will get strong by the time winter hits, and most of them will come back next year. For that I would have to start planting them in large buckets of dirt now, which I will take in the truck when we head out there in July. Then, I will be able to put them in the ground, and pray for the best.
We came up with the idea of cutting some large plastic tubs that Eddie had used in the past to collect rain water. He had a couple of them laying around since he got a few more than he actually needed. We will fill them up with free dirt from the recycling center in our neighborhood, and then we will start placing the plants that we are taking with us inside the tubs. That way they will start adapting to the trip, and we will not have to worry about them dying of heat during the drive there. Once there, we can replant without rush. After we replant them, we will use the containers to grow vegetables, that way we will not have any waste. The hollow parts will be good to corral some veggies such as tomatoes, or maybe strawberry plants. Seems like a solution to the problem.
Here are some pics of the plastic tubs already cut into pieces, to start the project. I will post more pictures as the project progresses. Next Saturday we are planning to fill them with dirt.
This is what the tub looks like before cutting it.